Here we discuss difference between C vs c++ The man behind C language- Dennis Ritchie. Everybody knows him as the father of the C programming language. He was a genius computer scientist and developer of the Unix operating system.
What would have happened if he wasn’t born? If there is no C, then there is no C++ that means no Unix, no windows, no Linux, no programs, no Android smartphones, no AWS, no Microsoft Windows 10, no games, no Photoshop, no Firefox.
What is difference between C vs C++
|C does not support object oriented programming, therefore it has no support for polymorphism encapsulation and inheritance.||C++ supports both procedural and object oriented programming, therefore C++ is also called a hybrid language.|
|C does not support function and operator overloading.||2. C++ supports both function and operator overloading.|
|C does not allow for functions to be defined inside structures.||3. In C++, functions can be used inside a structure.|
|C does not support reference variables.||4. C++ supports reference variables.|
|C, being procedural programming, is a function driven language.||5. While C++, Being and object oriented programming, it is an object driven language.|
|Does not have a namespace feature.||6. C++ User’s namespace which avoids name collisions.|
|Data is less secured in C.||7. Data is more secured in C++.|
|It processes with a top down approach.||8. It processes with the bottom up approach.|
|It offers low-level data abstraction.||9. It offers high-level data abstraction.|
|C is a middle-level language.||10. C++ is a high-level language.|
Some related articles: C vs C++
Benefits of java Programming language as Backend
10 Top Future Programming Languages 2025 2030
Difference Between C vs C++ vs Python vs Java
Best Java Libraries :Master must know
Best Python Libraries: Master must know
Difference between Python and Node.js
C Programming Language
C Programming Language is a combination of statements, functions and variables. C programming Language is extensible and can easily adopt additional features. C is a procedural programming language that supports pointers. We had a significant influence on the Unix operating system. He has been improved from time to time Since its initial release. That’s the reason it’s still a part of the curriculum in many schools around the world and it is a second popular programming language. The programming language has been an inspiration to many other programming languages like C++, C#, Java, PHP and others.
What can C do?
- It supports procedural programming language
- It contains 32 keywords.
- C programming language is fast and efficient.
- This form of language includes built-in operators providing ease in writing complex programs
Where is C used?
- C language is highly used in embedded systems.
- Helpful for development of system applications.
- It is widely used for developing desktop applications.
- Various Adobe applications are developed using the C programming language.
- It is used for developing Browsers and their extensions. Google chromium is built using the C programming language.
- It is used to develop databases. My SQL is the most popular database software which is built using C.
- It is used in developing and operating systems. Operating Systems such as Apple’s OS X, Microsoft Windows and Symbian are developed using C language. It is used for developing desktop as well as mobile phone operating systems.
- Clang is used for compiler production.
- It is widely used in IoT applications.
History of C
The reason why the language was named by its creator was that it came after the B language. Back then, Bell Labs already had a programming language Called be at their disposal. The B language, a high level language created by Thompson, was itself and implementation of the programming language BCPL designed by Martin Richards of Cambridge University.
Ken Thompson, Dennis Ritchie and others originally created the Unix operating system. It was implemented on the PDP 7 computer using the Assembly language. Unix was ported to PDP 11 using assembly language but the developers thought about rewriting it using B language.
The B language fell short of abilities to take advantage of the features offered by the newer member of the PDP series, the PDP 11. That’s when Dennis Ritchie started working on a high level programming language taking clues from V language
Company using C Programming Language are:
C is used for:
- Operating systems
- software development
C Job Market
- Average Salary- $ 102,000
- Job Count- 38,456
- Top Job Location- New York City, San Francisco, Washington D,C.
Pros of C language
C is highly portable. You can develop software that runs on different platforms with no or very little modification.
- C is small
C is completely dependent on variables, macros, functions and structures. There isn’t all that much to it. This is the reason, C is lodged on modern microprocessors. They can range from fridges to alarm clocks.
- Know C and you will know them all
Almost all programming languages nowadays are themselves implemented in C, knowing C basically gives you a free ticket to know in all programming languages.
Cons of C language
- Run Time
C programming language has no runtime checking mechanism.
- Object-oriented programming
does not support object-oriented programming hence why C++ was created.
- Sizeable learning curve
Not the easiest of programming languages to learn but certainly not the most difficult. Ideal for people with knowledge of other programming languages.
C++ programming language
C++ is an object-oriented programming language that supports the concept of classes and objects. And also It is a powerful general purpose programming language. It can develop operating systems, browsers, games and so on. It offers distinct methods of programming like procedural, object-oriented, functional and so on. This makes C++ powerful as well as flexible. C++ is old but gold. It is highly used for professional software game development and high-performance applications.
This includes machine learning. It gives programmers a high level of control over the system’s resources and memory. We can find this language in today’s operating system, graphical user interface and embedded systems. And also It is close to C# and Java; it makes it easy for programmers to switch to C++ or vice versa. It was developed as an enhancement of the C language to include an object-oriented paradigm. C++ Is an upgraded version of C programming. the main Idea behind creating C++ programming was to add object orientation to the C programming language.
What can C++ do?
- It supports function overloading.
- C++ follows the bottom-up approach.
- It supports 52 keywords.
- C++ mainly uses stream Cin and cout to perform input and output operations.
- C++ supports the new operator for memory allocation.
Companies using c++ are:
- C++ Programming language was developed in 1980 by Bjarne Stroustrup at Bell Laboratories of American Telephone and Telegraph located in the USA.
- Bjarne Stroustrup Is known as the founder of C++ language.
- it was developed for adding a feature of OOP- Object Oriented Programming in C Without significantly changing the C component.
C++ Used For:
- Operating systems
- web browsers
- graphical user interface
C++ Job Market
- Average Salary- $104,000
- Job Count- 32,816
- Top Job Location- New York City, Seattle, San Francisco.
Pros of C++ language
- Sets you apart
Learning to be proficient in this programming language Will put you in a place that sets you apart from most programmers in the market. With C++, you will gain a deeper appreciation of how programming languages like Java Python work in regards to memory management and how you do that.
- Fine tuning
C++ will allow you to finally tune your application and leverage all the power of the computer. It is quiet and friendly to write compared to Java, but you can do anything with that
Cons of C++ language
- Steep learning curve
C++ Is really difficult to learn, but it is one language that will give you the edge over all the programmers if you ask if you are fluent.
- Vast in Size
C++ is extremely huge and its various features interact in horrible Complex ways. No developer can use the entire set of building blocks it provides, but it takes great effort and wisdom to find the correct subset for your program.
Why is C/C++ still relevant?
- Many C and C++ Projects that exist today were started decades ago. The Unix operating system was written in C in 1972.
- C++ is still being used to develop desktop based applications, compilers, operating systems, embedded applications.
- C is the most portable and efficient language because it is as close to machine language as possible.
- Most of the major software applications including Adobe Google Mozilla Oracle are written in C/C++.
- 48% of applications written in C/C++